Sir Alex Ferguson has refused to brush off claims that he will not be charged by the Football Association for his outburst directed at match official Simon Beck, telling reporters: “I wouldn’t bet on it.”
With Manchester United leading 1-0 in their Premier League game against Tottenham on 20 January, Wayne Rooney went down in the penalty area after appearing to be fouled by Spurs defender Steven Caulker, prompting Sir Alex to criticise the official’s performance in his post-match observations.
The FA subsequently invited the United manager to explain his comments, which he did, and the governing body must now decide by Tuesday evening whether or not to charge the 71-year-old Scot.
However, Sir Alex himself believes that a potential charge is personal.
He told reporters: “I just think it is more about me than what I’ve said. Whether I think it is unfair or not doesn’t matter to them really at this point.
“That is what I have put in my letter exactly. But you know the FA.
“You never know. It is one of these things. We are high profile.”
The Manchester United manager suggested that the media had a huge part to play in the charges, with fellow Premier League managers Roberto Mancini and Harry Redknapp only being given warnings earlier in the season for similar offences.
He added: “I think that is what you will find [the media’s reaction]. That is why they have sent me a letter.”